Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A Story - Part Three (Una Historia – Parte tres)


Here's the conclusion of my short story "Never Too Late." If you missed Parts One and Two, you can read them here:

I'd love to hear your feedback - what you liked, suggestions for changes, questions, comments, etc. 

May your day be filled with God's love. 

Part Three:

Lauren awoke from her nap in the late afternoon. The sky had turned a pale blue as daylight faded. She heard a soft knock on the door. I hope it’s not that peppy nurse again. 

“Lauren?” The woman’s voice sounded familiar. 

Lauren turned her head and stared at the person in the doorway. “Shara? Is it really you?” Shara’s brown hair was short now and she looked older, but it was actually her!  

“Can I come in?” Shara sounded so timid, unlike her normally bold personality.

“Of course, I… What are you doing here? I mean…I can’t believe it’s you!” So many thoughts ran through Lauren’s head, she didn’t know where to start. “I prayed I’d get to see you again, but I didn’t think it would happen!” 

Shara still seemed a little unsure, but she sat down on the edge of the bed. “You prayed you’d get to see me?” 

Lauren took a deep breath as her head began pounding again, but she smiled at her sister. “Yes. I’m so glad you’re here. But how…?”

“One of the nurses saw my picture in your wallet when she was looking for your insurance card. My name was written on the back, and she tracked me down. As soon as I heard you were in the hospital, I knew I had to come. Rick—my husband—and I live about two hours from here. But tell me how you are, do they know what’s wrong?”

Lauren sighed. “I think my doctor would rather be counting grains of sand than working here. He keeps running tests, but so far he hasn’t found the problem.”

“Are you in a lot of pain?” Shara’s forehead wrinkled with concern.

“Yeah, off and on. I think they’re giving me some pain medicine in the IV because it kind of comes in waves. The headache is the worst.” 

Lauren paused for a moment to gather her thoughts. How could she get past this small talk and share her heart? Lord, give me the right words!

Shara looked down and smoothed out a wrinkle in Lauren’s blanket. 

Ready or not, here I go. “Shara,” Lauren looked into her sister’s blue eyes. “I’m so sorry!” As the tears began to flow, Lauren quickly blurted out the rest. “I’m sorry I let one big argument separate us for so long. I realize now how foolish I’ve been. I expected you to be like me instead of seeing what an amazing woman you are! I know we were both hurting over mom’s death. I should have been there for you, not pushed you away. Please forgive me!” 

Shara’s eyes pooled with tears. She reached over and wrapped Lauren in her arms. “No, please forgive me! I was so determined to prove you wrong I ended up hurting us both. I’ve thought about calling you so many times, but my pride always held me back. I’m so sorry.”

The sisters sat there crying and holding each other for several minutes. Finally Lauren leaned back and smiled. “I’m so thankful I ended up in the hospital so God could bring us together!” 

Shara wiped her eyes and chuckled. “He certainly does have a unique way of getting our attention.” Her smile faded. “But what if…?” She couldn’t finish the sentence, but Lauren knew she was worried. 

“It’s okay, sis, whatever happens. At least we’re together again. My biggest fear was that I was too late, that I wouldn’t get to tell you how much I love you. But God gave me peace even about that.”

Shara gazed out the window. “Remember what mom always used to say?” 

“It’s never too late…” they quoted together.  

“I guess she knew what she was talking about, huh?” Shara smiled at her sister. 

“Yep, she was a very wise woman.”

“I miss her.” Shara wiped away a tear.

Lauren took her hand and squeezed. “I miss her too.”

Just then the door opened, and Molly came in. She looked at the two women. “I’m sorry, did I interrupt something?” 

Lauren reached out a hand to her. “How can we ever thank you?” She knew Molly was the one responsible for this reunion. Maybe she is an angel after all.

Molly grinned. “I thought there was more to your story than eyes could see. I’m just glad I did the right thing.” She leaned in and whispered, “Sometimes my curiosity gets me in trouble.” 

Shara jumped up and hugged Molly. “I’m so glad your curiosity made you find me. Thank you!”  

“Well, actually we all know who really gave me the idea.” She pointed up and winked. “I wish I could continue with this touching scene, but the doctor is on his way to see you. He has some news for you. Finally! I thought I better let you know.”

“Thanks.” Lauren was not looking forward to seeing “Mr. Cheerful” again. “Molly, will you stay while he’s here? I could use the extra support.”

“Of course, dearie.” She left and returned again in a few minutes with the doctor.

“Well, Miss Bradley, I’ve located the problem.”

Lauren braced herself for the worst. Shara gripped her hand tightly.

“You’ve contracted Chagas disease, no doubt on your trip to Belize. I’ve never treated a case personally, but from my reading, yours seems unusually acute. In fact, it’s probably a good thing your symptoms were so severe, or the infection might have gone undetected for years.”

Lauren stared at the doctor blankly. She had never heard of this disease. Was it fatal? Serious? Come on doc; give me some details!

“Wait,” she tried to get his attention. “What are you saying? Is it treatable?”

“Of course,” he replied. “It’s caused by a parasite, which you probably picked up in some contaminated food. We’ll get you on a treatment plan, and you should be back to normal in no time.”

Relief flooded Lauren’s aching body. I’m going to be okay! Thank you God! 

Shara hugged her, then hugged Molly, then turned to hug the doctor but checked herself when he stepped back. 

He cleared his throat and said, “You’re lucky I’ve been doing research on unusual tropical diseases, including Chagas.” 

“Lucky?” Lauren glanced over at Molly who raised an eyebrow.

“Not lucky, doctor.” Shara was back to her bold self. “It was God.” 

Now the doctor raised an eyebrow, but he didn’t say anything. Instead he handed Lauren’s chart to Molly and walked out.

Molly laughed. “That’s the most reaction anyone’s gotten out of him in a long time!” 

“He may not be Mr. Personality, but at least he found the problem.” Lauren was too relieved to worry about the doctor’s indifference. “I just hope his treatment plan is better than his bedside manner.” She and Shara laughed together.

Molly smiled at them. “Hey, maybe we’ll get you out of here in time for Christmas! I’m going to check on what medication I need to get for you. I’ll be back soon. You two enjoy your time together.” 

“Don’t worry. We will,” Lauren said. She looked at her sister and smiled. We will.


The wind blew icy cold as Lauren and Shara walked together up the hill. They stopped at a simple grave marker that read, “Roseanna Bradley. Beloved wife and mother.” Shara placed a red carnation next to the marker on the dry, brown grass. Lauren did the same. We miss you mom, but you’ll be happy to know we’re not alone anymore. You were right. It’s never too late…to love.  




Una Historia – Parte tres

Aquí está la conclusión de mi historia corta “Nunca es Demasiado Tarde.” Si te perdiste la primera y segunda partes, puedes leerlas aquí:

Me encantaría escuchar tu retroalimentación – qué te gustó, sugerencias para cambios, preguntas, comentarios, etc.

Que tu día esté lleno con el amor de Dios.


Parte tres:

Lauren se despertó de su siesta tarde esa tarde. El cielo se había vuelto azul pálido al ir oscureciendo el día. Escuchó un golpe suave en la puerta. Espero que no sea esa enfermera festiva otra vez.

“¿Lauren?” La voz de la mujer le sonó familiar.

Lauren volteó la cabeza y se quedó mirando fijamente a la persona que estaba parada en la puerta. “¿Shara? ¿Realmente eres tú?” El cabello marrón de Shara era corto ahora y ella parecía mayor, ¡pero en realidad era ella!

“¿Puedo entrar?” Shara parecía tan tímida, diferente de su personalidad comúnmente resuelta.

“Claro que sí, yo… ¿Qué estás haciendo aquí? Quiero decir… ¡No puedo creer que eres tú!” Pasaron muchos pensamientos por la cabeza de Lauren, no sabía por donde empezar. “Oré que volviera a verte, ¡pero no pensé que sucedería!”

Shara todavía parecía un poquito insegura, pero se sentó en la orilla de la cama. “¿Oraste que volvieras a verme?”

Lauren inhaló un hondo suspiro mientras su cabeza le martillaba otra vez, pero sonrió a su hermana. “Sí. Estoy tan contenta porque estás aquí. Pero, ¿cómo…?”

“Una de las enfermeras vio mi fotografía en tu billetera mientras buscaba tu tarjeta del seguro. Mi nombre estaba escrito en la parte de atrás y me buscó. Tan pronto como escuché que estabas en el hospital, supe que tenía que venir. Rick –mi esposo- y yo vivimos a más o menos dos horas de aquí. Pero cuéntame como estás tú, ¿saben qué está mal?”

Lauren suspiró. “Creo que mi doctor preferiría estar contando granos de arena que trabajando conmigo. Ha estado ordenando exámenes, pero hasta ahora no ha encontrado el problema.”

“¿Tienes mucho dolor?” La frente de Shara se arrugó con preocupación.

“Sí, va y viene. Creo que están dándome medicina para el dolor en el suero porque viene como en oleadas. Lo peor es el dolor de cabeza.”

Lauren hizo una pausa por un momento para juntar sus pensamientos. ¿Cómo podría ir más allá de esta pequeña conversación y compartir su corazón? ¡Señor, dame las palabras correctas!

Shara miró y alisó una arruga en la cobija de Lauren.

Lista o no, aquí voy. “Shara,” Lauren miró fijamente a los azules ojos de su hermana. “¡Lo siento tanto!” Mientras las lágrimas comenzaron a rodar, rápidamente expresó el resto. “Lamento haber permitido que una gran discusión nos separara por tanto tiempo. Ahora me doy cuenta como he sido de necia. ¡Quería que fueras como yo en lugar de ver la mujer maravillosa que eres! Sé que a las dos nos dolía la muerte de mamá. Debí estar allí para ti, no empujarte a que te fueras. Por favor, ¡Perdóname!

Los ojos de Shara se llenaron de lágrimas. Se inclinó hacia adelante y envolvió a Lauren en sus brazos. “No, ¡por favor perdóname! Estaba tan decidida a demostrar que estabas equivocada que terminé por herirnos a ambas. He pensado tantas veces en llamarte, pero mi orgullo siempre me detuvo. Lo siento tanto.”

Las hermanas se sentaron allí llorando y sosteniéndose una a la otra por varios minutos. Finalmente Lauren se reclinó y sonrió. “¡Estoy tan agradecida por terminar en el hospital para que Dios pudiera reunirnos!”

Shara se secó los ojos y se rió. “Él verdaderamente tiene una forma única de llamar nuestra atención.” Su sonrisa se desvaneció. “Pero, ¿qué si…?" No pudo terminar la oración, pero Lauren supo que estaba preocupada.

"Está bien, hermanita, no importa que pase. Por lo menos estamos juntas otra vez. Mi más grande temor era que fuera demasiado tarde para mí, que no pudiera decirte lo mucho que te amo. Pero Dios me dio paz, incluso con respecto a eso.”

Shara miró fijamente por la ventana. “¿Recuerdas lo que mamá acostumbraba decir siempre?”

“Nunca es demasiado tarde…” citaron al mismo tiempo.

“Creo que sabía de lo que estaba hablando, ¿cierto?" Shara sonrió a su hermana.

“Sí, ella una mujer muy sabia.”

“La extraño.” Shara se secó una lágrima.

Lauren le tomó una mano y la apretó. “Yo también la extraño.”

En ese momento la puerta se abrió y Molly entró. Miró a las dos mujeres. “Lo siento, ¿interrumpí algo?"

Lauren extendió una mano hacia ella. “¿Cómo podremos nunca agradecerte suficiente?” Sabía que Molly era la responsable de esta reunión. Quizá es un ángel después de todo.

Molly sonrió. “Pensé que había más en tu historia de lo que los ojos podían ver. Me alegra haber hecho lo correcto.” Se inclinó hacia adelante y susurró: “A veces mi curiosidad me mete en problemas.”

Shara dio un salto y abrazó a Molly. “Me alegra tanto que tu curiosidad te haya llevado a encontrarme. ¡Gracias!”

“Bueno, en realidad todas sabemos quien me dio la idea.” Señaló hacia arriba y guiñó el ojo. “Me gustaría continuar con esta conmovedora escena, pero el doctor está por llegar para verte. Tiene noticias para ti. ¡Finalmente! Pensé que mejor te comentaba.”

“Gracias.” Lauren no estaba ansiosa por ver al “señor Alegría” otra vez. “¿Te quedarás mientras él está aquí? Yo podría usar el apoyo extra.”

“Por supuesto, linda.” Salió y regresó en unos pocos minutos, con el doctor.

“Bueno, señorita Bradley, he ubicado el problema.”

Lauren se preparó para lo peor. Shara le apretó la mano fuertemente.

"Usted contrajo la enfermedad de Chagas, sin duda en su viaje a Belice. Personalmente nunca he tratado un caso, pero por mis lecturas, el suyo parece inusualmente agudo. De hecho, probablemente es bueno que sus síntomas fueron tan severos, o la infección podía haber continuado por años sin que se le detectara.”

Lauren miró fijamente al doctor sin entender una palabra. Jamás había escuchado de esta enfermedad. ¿Era mortal? ¿Grave? Vamos doctor; ¡deme más detalles!

“Espere,” trató de ganar su atención. “¿Qué está diciendo? ¿es tratable?”

“Por supuesto,” respondió. “Es causada por un parásito, el cual probablemente adquirió en alguna comida contaminada. La vamos a poner en un plan de tratamiento y debe regresar a la normalidad muy pronto.”

El alivio inundó el cuerpo adolorido de Lauren. ¡Voy a estar bien! ¡Gracias Dios!

Shara la abrazó, luego abrazó a Molly, después se volvió hacia el doctor pero se contuvo cuando él dio un paso hacia atrás.

Él aclaró la garganta y dijo: “Tiene suerte de que he estado investigando acerca de enfermedades tropicales inusuales, incluyendo Chagas.”

“¿Suerte?” Lauren miró a Molly quien levantó una ceja.

“No fue suerte doctor.” Shara estaba de regreso a su manera resuelta de ser. “Fue Dios.” Ahora el doctor levantó una ceja, pero no dijo nada. Más bien, entregó la tarjeta de Lauren a Molly y salió.

Molly rió. “¡Esa ha sido la reacción más fuerte que alguien ha obtenido de él en bastante tiempo!”

“Puede que no sea el Señor Personalidad, pero por lo menos encontró el problema.” Lauren se sentía demasiado aliviada para preocuparse por la indiferencia del doctor. “Sólo espero que su tratamiento sea mejor que sus modales de cabecera.” Ella y Shara rieron al tiempo.”

Molly les sonrió. “¡Oigan, quizá vamos a sacarte de aquí a tiempo para la navidad! Voy a revisar cuáles medicamentos debo conseguirte. Regresaré pronto. Ustedes dos disfruten de su tiempo juntas.”

“No te preocupes. Lo haremos,” dijo Lauren. Mró a su hermana y sonrió. Lo haremos.


El viento soplaba helado mientras Lauren y Shara subían juntas la cuesta. Se detuvieron ante una lápida sencilla que decía: “Roseanna Bradley. Amada esposa y madre.” Shara colocó un clavel rojo al lado de la lápida sobre el pasto seco y de color café. Lauren hizo lo mismo. Te extrañamos mamá, pero estarás feliz de saber que ya no estamos solas. Tenías razón. Nunca es demasiado tarde … para amar.

No comments: