Pages

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Praise

I've been reading Ecclesiastes and Psalms at the same time. There's such a contrast between the two. Solomon's words are depressing - life is meaningless, it's all chasing after the wind, everyone has the same fate-death, so who cares... David's words are inspiring - my soul finds rest in God, God will fulfill His purpose for me, I will praise you as long as I live.... I especially like that last one. No matter what troubles David went through he always came back to praising God. Solomon studied long and hard, had lots of wisdom, yet could find no greater purpose in life than eat, drink, and enjoy your work while your life lasts. Sadly, he missed out on the real meaning in life - enjoying GOD! David on the other hand, had a deep relationsip with God. I can almost hear him saying, "Lord, even if everything goes wrong in my life and nothing good comes of it, I will still praise you and that will make my life meaningful and worthwhile." I guess I can hear him saying that because it's something I'm learning to say. Even if I never "accomplish" anything in my life, if I can say with David, "I will praise you as long as I live," then my life will not be a 'chasing after the wind.' And maybe, like David, my simple praise will be something God will use to make a difference long after I'm gone. I hope so.

*Praise God - I actually got a refund from the clinic in Dallas! They sent me a bill in Sept, which I went over and it didn't seem to add up. So I called them and low and behold, they owed me money! (We paid for everything up front, then when medicare kicked in they adjsuted the prices for me, thus the refund!) God is so sweet to me! There's nothing quite like getting an unexpected check in the mail. =)

*Praise God - for my new doctor. He's so great! He said I'm never a bother when I call him with questions and stuff. And he hasn't even charged me for the phone calls (even though a lot of doctors do). I seriously had quit believing there were any kind and helpful doctors left out there. God knew better than me. =)

*Praise God - for His WORD! I can't even imagine how hard life would be without the Bible. Jesus said the truth will set you free; He knew what He was talking about. I'm so thankful for the way God continues to renew my mind in His truth - changing old beliefs and habits of thinking that I wasn't even aware were affecting me. His truth is so life-giving and as the psalmist said, 'has set my heart free."

*Praise God - for my mom! She is a daily expression to me of God's love, kindness, grace, mercy.... I know very few people experience the privilege of having a parent who is a real and true representation of God's Father love. I am so blessed!

(I could go on and on, but for the sake of my wavering strength I'll close with one more.)

*Praise God - for Flowers! I love taking pictures of flowers. Sometimes they turn out good, other ones not so good. But when I see a flower it's like a tiny window into the creative heart and mind of God. Such detail, such color, shape, etc. I love that God enjoys making beautiful things, because He is the source of all true beauty! Next time you see a flower, just think, that is a tiny revelation of the beauty of my God!
Here's some to get you started. =)






"Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands." -Psalm 63:3-4

No comments: