Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Precious Words

Well, I think I'm slowly recovering from my trip back from Dallas. I still don't have energy for doing much of anything, much as I wish I could. It's a daily battle to be content with all my limitations, knowing that God has put me in this place for a divine purpose and reason. I know that in my head, but it's hard to accept it at times when I'd rather be doing 100 other things than laying on the couch.
I love the following poem by Amy Carmicheal. It makes me cry every time I read it - partly because I can identify with it so exactly, and partly because of the tender love God showed her in giving her these precious words. I could never say it better, so here it is: (from "Rose from Brier")

"Thou hast not that, My child, but Thou hast Me,
And am not I alone enough for thee?
I know it all, know how thy heart was set
Upon this joy which is not given yet.

And well I know how through the wistful days
Thou walkest all the dear familiar ways,
As unregarded as a breath of air,
But there in love and longing, always there.

I know it all; but from thy brier shall blow
A rose for others. If it were not so
I would have told thee. Come, then, say to Me
My Lord, My Love, I am content with Thee."


My Lord, my Love, I am content with Thee.

2 comments:

Mrs said...

Joanna, that's so beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Even those of us in wellness need Him to be enough.

Have you heard of praise music by Tenth Avenue North? I just heard one of their songs yesterday and it was so amazing! You might want to check it out!

Phyllis said...

Thank you! My "that" is different from yours, but these words speak to me, too. Crying with you...