Pages

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Compassionate God

I was sitting in our backyard yesterday in the shade of our oak tree. The two mockingbirds who have a nest in the tree kept flying back and forth between the tree and the roof of the house. At one point, one of them came and perched on the lawn chair next to me and looked right at me. I figured they're just not used to having people in their "territory."

Then a few minutes later, I noticed a tiny rustle in the grass a few feet away. I looked closer and saw a little baby bird! He must have fallen out of his nest and was hiding in the tall grass. This explained why the parents were acting so nervous.

The poor little thing was so small and helpless, my heart just went out to him! I wanted to help him, but I knew there was really nothing I could do. If I got any closer the parents might attack me, and if I touched their baby then they would probably reject him.

So I did the only thing I could do. I prayed, "Lord Jesus, please take care of this little bird!" Then I left, hoping the parents would go feed him once I was gone. I kept thinking about him all night, hoping he was ok.

It's strange how in one moment a helpless, little bird completely captured my attention and filled my heart with compassion. I can't begin to imagine how much more God cares about me!

Isaiah 30:18 says,
"Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; He rises to show you compassion."

The compassion God has for us is infinitely greater than what we feel for others. Just like that baby bird, we are weak and helpless, but God LONGS to pour out His grace and love on us. He delights in showing us His compassion, in taking care of us, and loving us.

Just like the little bird, I'm on His mind and in His heart. And so are you.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows." -Matthew 10:29-31

No comments: