Pages

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

We Can Soar (Podemos Levantarnos)

photo from: this site

Recently I found this piece that I wrote several years ago. I'm thankful for how far God has brought me, both in my health and my spiritual life since then. But I think for all of us as Christians, this one lesson continues - I'm still learning how to live by faith, still learning to soar. 


Learning To Fly

I’ve been taking flying lessons recently. I didn’t want to. I’d much rather stay on the ground where I feel comfortable and safe. I can’t seem to get the hang of floating above the clouds, as appealing as that may sound. You see, I’m not talking about flying a plane, but something much more difficult – soaring above my circumstances on wings of faith.  

Isaiah 40:30-31 says, Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. 

Flying is natural for an eagle, but it is very unnatural for me.  Everything in my physical make-up goes against the possibility of flying. This is often true in my spiritual life as well. My flesh and my circumstances may pull me down, even though God wants me to soar. I am tired and weary; I stumble and fall. Yet the Lord is continually working to teach me how to soar. 

Lately I have been especially weak because of prolonged physical illness. During such times, it seems that my eyes can only see the ground as I stumble and try to keep going. It’s difficult to remember that God wants to lift me above my circumstances on wings of faith. However, I’m learning that it’s in the trials that I am the most teachable. If I never grew weary, then I would never look to God for strength. When I fall with my face to the ground, the only place to look is up. Through my physical weakness, I am enrolled in the school of spiritual flight. 

How do I learn to fly, to soar like an eagle? Isaiah makes it very simple: “hope in the LORD.” 

He’s talking about faith. Just as it takes faith to step into a plane and believe it will carry me above the ground, so it takes faith to quit looking at my circumstances and allow God to carry me above them. 

What is the substance of my faith? It is fixed on the character of God and the truths of His Word. 

He is powerful and in control (Ps. 103:19). 
He loves me (Rom. 8:37-39). 
He works all things for my good (Rom. 8:28). 
He will never abandon or forsake me (Heb. 13:5b). 
He sees the end from the beginning (1 Tim. 1:17). 
He makes everything beautiful in His time (Eccl. 3:11).  

When I think on these things, I start to spread my wings. As I praise God for these truths, I lift off the ground. And when I share them with others, I begin to soar. 

My circumstances may not change; trials may still pull me down. BUT - those who hope in the LORD will be renewed. They will learn to return their eyes to what is unseen, to trust in the invisible God, and to soar above their circumstances on wings of faith.  

You can’t learn to fly a plane in one day. Neither can you learn to soar like an eagle in one moment. Learning to fly is a process. There will be setbacks and failures, difficult moments and sometimes even fear. Yet God is faithful. He wants His children to soar. He will continue to work through our circumstances to teach us how to rise up on wings of faith, as we keep our hope in Him. 



Podemos Levantarnos

Hace poco encontré esta porción que escribí hace varios años. Estoy agradecida por lo lejos que Dios me ha traído desde entonces, tanto en mi salud como en mi vida espiritual. Pero creo que para todos nosotros como cristianos, esta lección continúa – Todavía estoy aprendiendo como vivir por fe, todavía aprendiendo a levantarme.


Aprendiendo A Volar

Recientemente he estado tomando lecciones de vuelo. No quería hacerlo. Preferiría mucho más permanecer en el suelo, donde me siento cómoda y segura. Me parece que no puedo agarrar el truco de flotar más arriba de las nubes, tan atractivo como eso pueda sonar. Mira, no estoy hablando de volar un avión, sino algo mucho más difícil – Levantarme en alas de fe por encima de mis circunstancias.

Isaías 40:30-31 dice: Los muchachos se fatigan y se cansan,  los jóvenes flaquean y caen; pero los que esperan a Jehová tendrán nuevas fuerzas; levantarán alas como las águilas; correrán, y no se cansarán; caminarán, y no se fatigarán.

Volar es natural para un águila, pero es antinatural para mí. Todo en mi constitución física va en contra de esa posibilidad. Con frecuencia, esto también es cierto en mi vida espiritual. Mi carne y mis circunstancias me arrastran hacia abajo, aunque Dios quiere que me eleve. Estoy cansada y débil; tropiezo y caigo. Sin embargo, el Señor está obrando continuamente para enseñarme como levantarme.

Últimamente he estado especialmente débil debido a la enfermedad física prolongada. Durante esos momentos parece que mis ojos pueden ver solamente el suelo mientras tropiezo y trato de seguir adelante. Es difícil recordar que Dios quiere levantarme, en alas de fe, por encima de mis circunstancias. Sin embargo, estoy aprendiendo que es durante las pruebas cuando más me dejo enseñar. Si nunca me debilitara, entonces nunca buscaría fortaleza en Dios. Cuando caigo con mi rostro contra el suelo, el único sitio al que puedo mirar es hacia arriba. A través de mi debilidad física, estoy enlistada en la escuela de vuelo espiritual.

¿Cómo aprendo a volar, a levantarme como un águila? Isaías lo hace muy sencillo: “espera en el Señor.”

Él está hablando de fe. Así como necesito fe para subirme a un avión y creer que me llevará por encima del suelo, así mismo necesito fe para dejar de mirar a mis circunstancias y permitir a Dios que me lleve por sobre ellas.

¿Cuál es la sustancia de mi fe? Está fija en el carácter de Dios y las verdades de Su Palabra.

Él es poderoso y está en control (salmo 103:19).
Me ama (Ro. 8:38-39).
Hace todas las cosas para mi bien (Ro. 8:28).
Nunca me abandonará ni me desamparará (He. 13:5b).
Ve el final desde el principio (1 Ti. 1:17).
Hace todo hermoso en Su tiempo (Ec. 3:11).

Cuando pienso en estas cosas, empiezo a extender mis alas. Cuando alabo a Dios por estas verdades, me despego del suelo. Y cuando las comparto con otros, comienzo a levantarme.

Puede que mis circunstancias no cambien; puede que las pruebas todavía me arrastren hacia abajo. PERO – los que esperan en Jehová tendrán nuevas fuerzas. Aprenderán a volver sus ojos a lo que es invisible, confiar en el Dios invisible y levantarse en alas de fe por encima de sus circunstancias.

No puedes aprender a volar un avión en un día. Tampoco puedes aprender a elevarte como un águila en un momento. Aprender a volar es un proceso. Habrá contratiempos y fallas, momentos difíciles e incluso, a veces, miedo. Pero Dios es fiel. Él quiere que Sus hijos se eleven. Va a continuar obrando a través de nuestras circunstancias para enseñarnos como elevarnos en alas de fe, mientras mantenemos nuestra esperanza en Él.

No comments: