Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Waiting Patiently (Esperando pacientemente)


After years of waiting, I'm finally seeing major improvement in my health! Praise God! It's been a long time in coming (7+ years). 

The strange thing is that while I'm finally receiving the health I've waited so long for, now there are other, new things I have to wait for. 

Do you think it's accurate to say that at every moment in our lives we are waiting for something? It seems that way to me.

Psalm 40 is a wonderful passage about waiting. In the beginning of the Psalm David said,
"I waited patiently for the Lord; He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand." (vv. 1-2)

Then in the last verse David wrote:
"Yet I am poor and needy; may the Lord think of me. You are my help and my deliverer; O my God, do not delay." (v. 17)

While David had been helped by God, he clearly was still waiting on God for some things. 

David understood about waiting. I think the rest of his Psalm contains helpful insights for us about how to not just wait, but to wait patiently.

What do we do while waiting on God? 

 *Sing God's praise (v. 3)
We can praise God for who He is, for what He has done for us in the past, and for what He will do in the future. He is always worthy of our praise! 

 *Declare who God is (vv. 9-10)
We are here on this earth to declare God's glory and to tell His story of salvation to those who haven't heard. Whatever situation we're in, we almost always have opportunities to declare who our awesome God is.

 *Seek God's will, not mine (vv. 7-8)
As we wait on God, at times it's tempting to try to manipulate our circumstances or try to convince God to speed things up. Instead we need to continually seek God's will and submit our will to His in ALL things. This surrender leads to inner peace even in uncertain circumstances. 

 *TRUST in the Lord (v. 4)
This can be a daily, hourly or even minute-by-minute challenge. Let us continually express to God our trust in Him - because He is GOD!

 *Rejoice and be GLAD in God! (v. 16)
No matter what wonderful things we're waiting for, nothing can compare with the beautiful privilege of knowing GOD! He is with us every day! He loves us every moment! As we learn to find joy and gladness in knowing Him, our lives will be transformed. And we'll be strengthened to wait patiently for His perfect timing.

I hope these insights encourage you as much as they have blessed me. I'm reminding myself of them daily and asking God to make me someone who waits patiently on Him.


Esperando pacientemente

Después de varios años de espera, ¡finalmente estoy viendo gran mejoría en mi salud! ¡Gloria a Dios! Ha pasado bastante tiempo para llegar a esto (más de 7 años).

Lo extraño es que mientras finalmente estoy recibiendo la salud por la que esperé tanto, ahora hay otras cosas, nuevas, por las que tengo que esperar.

¿Crees que es correcto decir que a cada momento en nuestras vidas estamos esperando por algo? A mí me parece que así es.

El salmo 40 es un pasaje maravilloso sobre esperar. Al comienzo del salmo David dijo:
“Pacientemente esperé a Jehová, y se inclinó a mí, y oyó mi clamor. Y me hizo sacar del pozo de la desesperación, del lodo cenagoso; puso mis pies sobre peña, y enderezó mis pasos.” (vs. 1-2)

Luego, en el último versículo David escribió:
“Aunque afligido yo y necesitado, Jehová pensará en mí. Mi ayuda y mi libertador eres tú; Dios mío, no te tardes. (v. 17)

Aunque Dios había ayudado a David, él claramente todavía estaba esperando en Dios para algunas cosas.

David entendía sobre esperar. Creo que el resto de su salmo contiene ideas útiles para nosotros acerca de cómo no simplemente esperar, sino esperar pacientemente.

¿Qué hacemos mientras esperamos en Dios?

*Cantar alabanza a nuestro Dios (v. 3)
Podemos alabar a Dios por quien Él es, por lo que ha hecho por nosotros en el pasado y por lo que hará en el futuro. ¡Él siempre es digno de nuestra alabanza!

*Declarar quien es Dios (vv. 9-10)
Estamos aquí en esta tierra para declarar la gloria de Dios y para contar Su historia de salvación a aquellos que no han oído. En cualquier situación que estemos, casi siempre tenemos oportunidades para declarar quien es nuestro increíble Dios.

*Hacer la voluntad de Dios, no la mía (vv. 7-8)
Mientras esperamos en Dios, a veces es tentador tratar de manipular nuestras circunstancias o de convencer a Dios de acelerar las cosas. En lugar de eso, necesitamos buscar continuamente la voluntad de Dios y someter la nuestra a la de él en TODAS las cosas. Este sometimiento lleva a paz interior aún en circunstancias inciertas.

*Confiar en el Señor (v. 4)
Este puede ser un desafío diario, de cada hora, o aún minuto a minuto. Expresemos continuamente a Dios nuestra confianza en Él -¡porque Él es Dios!

*¡Gozarnos y alegrarnos en Dios! (v. 16)
Sin importar cuáles cosas maravillosas estamos esperando, ¡nada puede compararse con el hermoso privilegio de conocer a DIOS! ¡Él está con nosotros todos los días! ¡Nos ama a cada momento! A medida que aprendemos a encontrar gozo y alegría en conocerlo, nuestras vidas serán transformadas. Y seremos fortalecidos para esperar pacientemente por su momento perfecto.

Espero que estas ideas te animen tanto como me han bendecido a mí. Estoy recordándolas diariamente y pidiéndole a Dios que me haga una persona que espere pacientemente en Él.

2 comments:

Mrs said...

Incredibly encouraged. Thank you.

David said...

Ha! Thanks for the warning! Now I know that I can look forward to waiting more, even when I also see improvement!

Thank you for this post. I love the first part of Ps 40! I wait for the Lord; He turns to me and hears my cry. It is the same every time. God is so faithful. It reminds me of Nah 1:7:

The Lord is good,
A stronghold in the day of trouble;
And He knows those who trust in Him.


I am so, so glad to keep hearing that you are seeing good progress! Praise. The. Lord!