Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Are You Willing? (¿Estás dispuesto?)


Last week I was watching a video about three keys to being a successful author or speaker. One of the keys mentioned was "willingness to change." 

Apparently, willingness to change is one of the  most necessary things for success as an author, speaker, or probably any profession. 

I totally agree with this concept. Yet it seems there is something in human nature that resists the idea of change. 

It's easy for me to ask someone else questions like:
-Are you willing to change your thinking about your relationships?
-Are you willing to change your habits for the sake of your health?
-Are you willing to change your desires for a more effective life?

These are areas where God has worked/is working on me. But if someone asked me if I was willing to change about something else that perhaps they saw in my life, I have a feeling my initial reaction would be to resist.

Even when we know we need to change, it's not easy. In fact, for myself I'd say it's impossible without God's intervention. 

Along with willingness to change, I think that willingness to learn is also vital. We don't know what we don't know. Continual learning is essential to success of any kind.

At times I'm tempted to think that I know enough of what I need to know in order to live a "successful" or happy life. But God faithfully reminds me that's not true! There is always more to learn about God, about others, about living more effectively, etc. 

I don't want to keep living the same way I am right now for the rest of my life. I want to keep learning. I want God to keep changing me. 

I'm so thankful GOD is the one who gives me both the willingness and the ability to change. These words of David have become my prayer: "grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me" (Psalm 51:12b).


So, are you willing?


¿Estás dispuesto?

La semana pasada estuve viendo un video acerca de tres claves para ser un autor u orador de éxito. Una de las claves mencionadas fue “disposición para cambiar.”

Aparentemente, la disposición para cambiar es una de las cosas más necesarias para tener éxito como autor, orador o, posiblemente cualquier profesión.

Yo estoy totalmente de acuerdo con este concepto. Sin embargo, hay algo en la naturaleza humana que resiste la idea del cambio.

Es fácil para mí hacer a alguien preguntas como:
-¿Estás dispuesto a cambiar tu manera de pensar acerca de tus relaciones?
-¿Estás dispuesto a cambiar tu hábitos por el bien de tu salud?
-¿Estás dispuesto a cambiar tus deseos por una vida más eficaz?

Estas son áreas donde Dios ha trabajado/está trabajando en mí. Pero si alguien me preguntara si estoy dispuesta a cambiar acerca de algo más que quizá ellos vieran en mi vida, tengo la sensación de que mi primera reacción sería resistir.

Aun cuando sabemos que necesitamos cambiar, no es fácil. De hecho, por mí misma diría que es imposible sin la intervención de Dios.

Junto con la disposición para cambiar, creo que la disposición para aprender también es vital. No sabemos lo que no sabemos. El aprendizaje es esencial para tener éxito de cualquier tipo.

A veces me siento tentada a pensar que sé suficiente de lo que necesito saber para vivir una vida “exitosa” o feliz. Pero Dios me recuerda fielmente que ¡eso no es verdad! Siempre hay más para aprender acerca de Dios, de otros, de vivir más eficazmente, etc.

No quiero seguir viviendo de la misma manera como soy ahora por el resto de mi vida. Quiero seguir aprendiendo. Quiero que Dios siga cambiándome.

Estoy muy agradecida de que sea DIOS quien me da tanto la disposición como la habilidad para cambiar. Estas palabras de David se han convertido en mi oración: “espíritu noble me sustente” (Sal. 51:12b).


Así que, ¿estás dispuesto?

No comments: