Pages

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

He Will Carry You (Él te Cargará)

I've been thinking about how far God has brought me with my health. Even though I'm still not "well," my body is much healthier than it used to be. I remember the really bad days when I was just trying to survive and I struggled for every breath. Though I'd never want to relive that suffering, the wonder of those days was that I knew Jesus was carrying me. And that part of the experience will always be a sweet memory.

So today I wanted to share this excerpt from my book, Grace In Time Of Need. If you're going through more than you can handle right now, don't despair. Jesus will carry you. 


Carry Me
I think most people try to put on a brave front for others, especially in hard times. We pretend we’re strong; we can handle it. We put up a “bring-it-on” bravado, though inside we often feel like little children, confused and overwhelmed by the harsher realities of grown-up life. I wonder why we feel compelled to convince others – and ourselves – that we’re fine when we really aren’t? 
Is it fear that I’m the only “weak” person in the world? Perhaps it’s fear that if we finally admit how needy we are, we’ll be mocked. Maybe we’re afraid we’ll lose what little self-confidence we have or even drown in our own despair. Or maybe it’s fear that we’ll…what? I don’t know the right answer to that question. For me it was a nameless fear. I do know I’ve been there – too afraid to admit to myself or anyone else that I was a mess inside…that the pain and difficult circumstances were too much for me…that I needed help but wasn’t sure I wanted it. I couldn’t face those thoughts because I felt like if I did I’d somehow lose the fragile grip I had on life.
Maybe none of this makes sense to you. Maybe you’ve never been overwhelmed by painful circumstances. If you have been, if you know exactly what I’m talking about, then please hear this: it’s okay not to be okay. You don’t have to keep up the brave front. You don’t have to be a “super-Christian.” You don’t have to be afraid of admitting your weakness, inner turmoil, confusion, frustration, or whatever is inside you that you pretend isn’t there. Let go of the fear and let yourself crumple at Jesus’ feet. He will pick you up and carry you.
He tends His flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries them close to His heart; He gently leads those that have young. -Isaiah 40:11
I learned this truth the hard way. God used some extreme circumstances to bring me to a place of total desperation. I couldn’t go another step. Finally, I cried out to Him, “God, please do something. I don’t care what I have to do or let go of or experience or whatever – just do something!” And He did. 
When I finally let myself be weak, Jesus picked me up and carried me in His arms. He showed me my weaknesses and my sin, but there was no condemnation, no reproach for not being a “strong Christian.” There was just His love and grace. You see, God is always pouring out His grace on us, but until we realize how much we need it, we don’t experience it.
Once I acknowledged to God how desperately needy I was, He flooded me with His grace – forgiving my sin, healing my hurts, delivering me from my fears. I felt more free than I ever thought possible! My circumstances didn’t change. My suffering didn’t end. But I finally began to experience the joy and freedom of letting Jesus carry me.
Even now, some days the pain is too much, my little strength gives out, and all I can pray is, “Lord, carry me.” And He does.

Even to your old age and gray hairs I am He, I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you. -Isaiah 46:4
(from Grace In Time Of Need)



Él te Cargará

He estado pensando acerca de hasta donde me ha traído Dios con mi salud. Aunque todavía no estoy “bien”, mi cuerpo es mucho más saludable de lo que era. Recuerdo los malos días cuando estaba apenas tratando de sobrevivir y luchaba por cada respiro. Aunque nunca querría volver a vivir ese sufrimiento, la maravilla de esos días es que yo sabía que Jesús me cargaba. Y esa parte de la experiencia siempre será un recuerdo dulce.

Así que hoy quise compartir este extracto de mi libro “Gracia en Tiempo de Necesidad." Si estás pasando por más de lo que puedes manejar ahora mismo, no te desesperes. Jesús te cargará.


Cárgame

Creo que la mayoría de las personas se ponen una cara de valientes para otros, especialmente en tiempos difíciles. Pretendemos que somos fuertes; podemos manejarlo. Montamos una bravata de “tráelo acá”, aunque a menudo por dentro nos sentimos como niños pequeños, confundidos y abrumados por las duras realidades de la vida adulta. Me pregunto ¿por qué nos sentimos obligados a convencer a los demás – y a nosotros mismos - que estamos bien cuando realmente no lo estamos?

¿Es temor de que soy la única persona “débil” en el mundo? Tal vez sea temor de que si finalmente admitimos lo necesitados que estamos, se burlarán de nosotros. Quizá pensemos que perderemos el poquito de confianza que tenemos en nosotros mismos o incluso que nos ahogaremos en nuestra propia desesperación. O quizá es temor de que sentiremos… ¿qué? No sé la respuesta correcta a esa pregunta. Para mí fue un temor innombrable. Sé que he estado ahí – demasiado temerosa para admitirme a mí misma o ante cualquier otra persona que era un desastre en mi interior. Que el dolor y las circunstancias difíciles eran demasiado para mí… que necesitaba ayuda pero no estaba segura de quererla. No pude enfrentar esos pensamientos porque sentía que si lo hacía de alguna manera perdería el agarre frágil que tenía en la vida.

Tal vez nada de esto tenga sentido para ti. Quizá nunca has estado sobrecogido por circunstancias dolorosas. Si lo has estado, si sabes exactamente de lo que estoy hablando, entonces por favor escucha esto: Está bien no estar bien. No tienes que mantener la cara de valiente. No tienes que ser un “supercristiano.” No debes tener miedo de admitir tu debilidad, confusión interna, caos, frustración o lo que sea que hay dentro de ti que finges que no está allí. Deja de lado el miedo y ríndete a los pies de Jesús. Él te levantará y te cargará.

Como un pastor que cuida su rebaño, recoge los corderos en sus brazos; los lleva junto a su pecho, y guía con cuidado a las recién paridas. –Isaías 40:11

Yo aprendí esta verdad de la manera difícil. Dios usó algunas circunstancias extremas para llevarme a un lugar de total desesperación. No pude dar un paso más. Finalmente, le clamé: “Dios, por favor, haz algo. No me importa lo que yo tenga que hacer, soltar, experimentar o lo que sea -¡sólo haz algo!” y Él obró.

Cuando finalmente me permití ser débil, Jesús me levantó y me cargó en Sus brazos. Me mostró mis debilidades y pecado, pero no hubo ninguna condenación, ningún reproche por no ser una “Cristiana fuerte”. Solamente hubo Su amor y Su gracia. Mira, Dios siempre está derramando Su gracia sobre nosotros, pero hasta que no nos damos cuenta que la necesitamos, no la experimentamos.

Cuando reconocí ante Dios cuán desesperadamente la necesitaba, me inundó con Su gracia - perdonando mi pecado, sanando mis heridas, librándome de mis temores. ¡Me sentí más libre de lo que jamás pensé sería posible! Mis circunstancias no cambiaron. Mi sufrimiento no terminó. Pero finalmente comencé a experimentar el gozo y la libertad de permitir que Jesús me cargue.

Aún ahora, algunos días el dolor es demasiado, mi poca fortaleza falla y todo lo que puedo orar es: “Señor, cárgame.” Y Él lo hace.

Aun en la vejez, cuando ya peinen canas, yo seré el mismo, yo los sostendré. Yo los hice, y cuidaré de ustedes; los sostendré y los libraré. –Is. 46:4

De: Grace In Time Of Need ("Gracia en Tiempo de Necesidad")

No comments: