Pages

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Transformed Turtles (Tortugas Transformadas)

For many years I lived with deep insecurity - a fear that there was something wrong with me, that I'd never be enough. Even though I didn't fully understand this fear, it affected every area of my life. It kept me from fully living and from being the unique person God created me to be. 

I praise God that He finally exposed that lie and helped me truly believe His Word - that I am fearfully and wonderfully made (Ps. 139:13-14), and that God created me to be ME, not someone else. As I listened to who God says I am, I was able to reject the lies I'd been believing about myself. 

I'm still a sinner saved by grace. I'm still "in process" as God works in my life. But I'm no longer bound by fear. I'm learning how to let Jesus live through me in the beautiful and unique ways He created me to display His glory. 

When I was little my mom used to sing me a silly song about how turtles hide in their shells (mostly when she was trying to comb the tangles out of my hair and I would shrink from the pain). Years later God brought that song back to my mind. Only this time He said, "You're no longer that shrinking, fearful turtle. You've been transformed by my love, set free by my truth!" 

If you ever feel like a turtle hiding in your shell, I hope this little poem reminds you that God created you so beautifully and wonderfully. He longs to deliver you from fear and by His love, transform you into the person He created you to be. 


You Can’t Make A Turtle Come Out

“You can’t make a turtle come out” – 
Song my mother used to sing
For combing hair or facing pain. 
It hurts too much,
I think I’ll stay in here.

You can’t make a turtle come out – 
Hiding deep inside my shell
Safe from all the things I fear,
Or trapped by fear itself?
I don’t want to come out.

You can’t make a turtle come out – 
Not with bribes or shouts or threats.
Missing adventures, friendships, joys,
No matter really.
I’d rather live inside.

You can’t make a turtle come out – 
But Love has made a way
To set this turtle free from fear
Free to live, free to be!
I hear Him call, “Come out!”

“You can’t make a turtle come out” – 
Who wants to be a turtle anyway?
With shell discarded, face exposed,
Hold my hand, Lord,
I’m stepping out.
(by Joanna K. Harris)

And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. -2 Corinthians 3:18

P.S. I was privileged to write a guest post for my friend Adam's blog this week. It's about listening to God. If you want to check it out, here's the link. =)
http://newlineministries.blogspot.com/2014/03/take-care-how-you-listen.html


Tortugas Transformadas

Durante muchos años viví con una profunda inseguridad –un temor de que algo malo pasaba conmigo, que yo nunca daría la talla. Aunque no entendía completamente este temor, afectaba cada área de mi vida. Evitaba que viviera plenamente y que fuera la persona única que Dios me creó para ser.

Alabo a Dios porque Él finalmente expuso esa mentira y me ayudó a creer verdaderamente Su Palabra – Soy hecha formidable y maravillosamente (Salmos 139:13-14) y Dios me creó para ser YO, nadie más. Al escuchar a Dios decir quien soy, pude rechazar las mentiras que había estado creyendo acerca de mí misma.

Todavía soy una pecadora salvada por gracia. Aún estoy “en proceso” a medida que Dios trabaja en mi vida. Pero ya no estoy atada por el pecado. Estoy aprendiendo a dejar que Jesús viva a través de mí en las hermosas y únicas maneras en que Él me creó para mostrar Su gloria.

Cuando era pequeña mi mamá acostumbraba cantarme una tonta canción acerca de cómo las tortugas se esconden en su caparazón (especialmente cuando estaba tratando de desenredar los nudos de mi cabello y yo me encogía de dolor). Años después Dios trajo a mi memoria esa canción. Sólo que esta vez Él dijo: “Ya no eres esa temerosa y encogida tortuga. ¡Has sido transformada por mi amor, liberada por mi verdad!”

Si alguna vez te sientes como una tortuga encogiéndote en tu caparazón, confío en que este pequeño poema te haga recordar que Dios te creó hermosa y maravillosamente. Anhela liberarte del temor y, por Su amor, transformarte en la persona que te creó para ser.


No Puedes Hacer Que Una Tortuga Salga

“No puedes hacer que una tortuga salga”-
Canción que mi madre solía cantar
Para peinar cabello o enfrentar dolor.
Eso duele mucho,
Creo que me quedaré aquí.

No puedes hacer que una tortuga salga-
Escondiéndome en lo más profundo de mi caparazón
A salvo de todas las cosas que temo,
¿O atrapada por el temor mismo?
No quiero salir.

No puedes hacer que una tortuga salga-
Ni con sobornos, gritos o amenazas.
Perdiéndome aventuras, amistades, alegrías,
Verdaderamente no importa.
Prefiero vivir dentro.

No puedes hacer que una tortuga salga-
Pero el amor ha abierto un camino
Para liberar a esta tortuga del temor
¡Libre para vivir, libre para ser!
Lo escucho llamando: “¡Sal fuera!”

“No puedes hacer que una tortuga salga”-
En todo caso ¿quién quiere ser una tortuga?
Con el caparazón desechado, la cara descubierta,
Sostén mi mano, Señor,
Estoy saliendo.
(por Joanna K. Harris)

Así, todos nosotros, que con el rostro descubierto reflejamos como en un espejo la gloria del Señor, somos transformados a su semejanza con más y más gloria por la acción del Señor, que es el Espíritu. -2 Co. 3:18

No comments: