Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Dependence and Glory (Dependencia y Gloria)


One of the themes God has given me for this new year is "dependence." I felt like last year I tried to do things in my own efforts too often and was continually frustrated. This year I want to be more conscious about acknowledging my total dependence on God. I know as I rely on Him I'll be overjoyed at the powerful ways He works through me. And I know He'll receive all the glory for things I couldn't possibly do by myself!

With this theme in mind, I though I'd repost something I wrote in 2011. It's funny how we often need to relearn the same lessons. I think I needed to be reminded of these truths again. I'm thankful God is a patient Father. =) 

Here's to a beautiful new year, dependent on Jesus and giving Him all the glory! 


Not To Us...

Do you ever desperately want to accomplish something all by yourself, just so you can stand up and shout "I did it!" 

I feel like that sometimes. I want to feel good about myself. I want to receive recognition from others. 

But I've realized that this is actually a form of idolatry. I want to take credit for something. I want people to praise me. 

But only God is truly worthy of praise! If I try to take credit for something, I'm denying Him the glory He is due - that's idolatry. 

Not only do I not deserve any glory, I cannot do anything worthwhile on my own. Jesus said, apart from me you can do nothing. (John 15:5b) 

When I try to do things on my own, I dishonor God's glory and I rob myself of the joy of letting Christ act through me. 

As much as I love watching Jesus live through my life, sometimes I'm still drawn to this temptation of acting on my own. Maybe that's why God so often gives me assignments that I can't possibly do in my own strength! 

When I'm frustrated and feel like pounding my head against the wall, I'm learning instead to fall on my knees and pray, "I can't do it Lord. Will you please do it through me? And I will give YOU all the credit, praise, and glory!" 

Not to us, O LORD, not to us but to your name be the glory... 

It is we who extol the LORD, both now and forevermore. 

   Praise the LORD. -Psalm 115:1,18 


Dependencia y Gloria

Uno de los temas que Dios me ha dado para este año nuevo es “dependencia.” Sentí que el año pasado intenté hacer cosas en mis propias fuerzas con mucha frecuencia y continuamente me sentí frustrada. Este año quiero ser muy consciente de reconocer mi dependencia total de Dios. Sé que descansando en Él estaré llena de gozo ante las poderosas maneras como Él obrará a través de mí. Y sé que ¡Él recibirá toda la gloria por las cosas que yo nunca podría hacer por mí misma!

Con este tema en mente pensé volver a publicar algo que escribí en 2011. Es curioso como con frecuencia necesitamos volver a aprender las mismas lecciones. Pienso que necesitaba que se me recordaran estas verdades de nuevo. Estoy agradecida que Dios es un Padre paciente. =)

Aquí está un hermoso año nuevo, ¡dependiendo de Jesús y dándole toda la gloria!


No A Nosotros

Alguna vez has tenido muy grandes deseos de lograr algo por ti mismo, sólo para poder levantarte y gritar: "¡Lo hice!"

Así me siento yo a veces. Quiero sentirme bien conmigo misma. Deseo recibir el reconocimiento de los demás.

Pero me he dado cuenta que esto es realmente una forma de idolatría. Quiero tomar el crédito por algo. Quiero que la gente me alabe.

Pero ¡sólo Dios es verdaderamente digno de alabanza! Si trato de tomar el crédito por algo, estoy negándole la gloria que merece - eso es idolatría.

No sólo no merezco ninguna gloria, tampoco puedo hacer nada que valga la pena por mi cuenta. Jesús dijo: separados de mí nada podéis hacer. (Juan 15:5 b)

Cuando trato de hacer cosas por mi cuenta, deshonro la gloria de Dios y me robo el gozo de dejar que Cristo actúe a través de mí.

A pesar de lo mucho que me encanta ver a Jesús vivir a través de mi vida, todavía a veces me siento atraída por esta tentación de actuar por mi cuenta. ¡Tal vez por eso es que Dios me da tan a menudo las tareas que no puedo hacer en mi propia fuerza!

Cuando estoy frustrada y queriendo golpear mi cabeza contra la pared, estoy aprendiendo más bien a caer de rodillas y orar, “no lo puedo hacer, Señor. ¿Lo harás a través de mí, por favor? ¡Yo te daré todo el crédito, la alabanza y la gloria!"

No a nosotros, oh Jehová, no a nosotros sino a tu nombre da gloria...

Pero nosotros bendeciremos al Señor, desde ahora y para siempre.
    ¡Aleluya! -Salmo 115:1,18

No comments: