Pages

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

I'm Right Here (Aquí Estoy)


Last week I was at my sister's house while she was baby-sitting a little girl who's about 15 months old. The little cutie was playing happily in the floor until she accidentally kicked the chair leg. 

My sister immediately pulled the girl into her lap to make sure she was okay. I watched in fascination as varied emotions showed on her little face. I could tell she was trying to decide whether to start wailing about the pain (it must have hurt) or to listen to the voice that gently reassured her she was okay. 

She looked at me. She looked at my sister. And slowly the indecision on her face gave way to peace. About 30 seconds later she hopped down and went back to playing. 

One of the things I love about children is their child-like faith. When you tell them something, they usually believe you. 

My sister knew the little girl felt hurt from kicking the chair. But she also knew it was a momentary pain. And as long as my sister was right there with the little girl, she was perfectly safe.

Later, I realized I often act the same way with God. I know Him well enough now to understand that He's in control of all things. But sometimes when there's an unexpected shock or pain in my life, I experience that same moment of indecision as the little girl. 

Am I going to start wailing over my pain? Or am I going to look at my Father and listen to His tender voice telling me I'm okay?

Knowing God doesn't mean we never experience hurt. It does mean that we know our pain is only temporary. And that when we're hurting, we can choose to listen to our Father's voice, gently speaking, reassuring us, "I'm right here." 


Those who trust in the Lord are like Mount Zion, which cannot be shaken but endures forever. As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds His people both now and forevermore.
-Psalm 125:1-2


Aquí Estoy

La semana pasada estaba en la casa de mi hermana mientras ella cuidaba una bebé de más o menos 15 meses de edad. La chiquilla estaba jugando felizmente en el piso hasta que accidentalmente se pegó con la pata de la silla.

Inmediatamente mi hermana la puso en su regazo para asegurarse que estuviera bien. Miré a la niña fascinada mientras su carita mostraba emociones variadas. Podía ver que estaba tratando de decidir si empezar a lamentarse por el dolor (debe haber dolido mucho) o escuchar la voz que dulcemente le aseguraba que estaba bien.

Me miró y luego miró a mi hermana. Y poco a poco la indecisión en su cara dio lugar a la paz. Más o menos treinta segundos después se bajó y regresó a su juego.

Una de las cosas que me encantan de los niños es su fe infantil. Cuando les cuentas algo, generalmente te creen.

Mi hermana sabía que la pequeña sentía dolor por el golpe con la silla. Pero también sabía que era un dolor momentáneo. Y mientras estuviera allí con la niña, estaba totalmente a salvo.

Más tarde caí en cuenta que con frecuencia actúo de la misma manera con Dios. Ahora lo conozco suficientemente bien para saber que Él está en control de todas las cosas. Pero a veces, cuando hay una sacudida o un dolor inesperado en mi vida, experimento ese mismo momento de indecisión que tuvo la pequeña niña.

¿Voy empezar a lamentarme por mi dolor? O ¿voy a mirar a mi Padre y escuchar Su tierna voz diciéndome que estoy bien?

Conocer a Dios no significa que nunca experimentemos dolor. Significa que sabemos que nuestro dolor es solamente pasajero. Y que cuando sentimos dolor, podemos escoger escuchar la voz de nuestro Padre, hablando dulcemente, asegurándonos: “Aquí estoy.”


Los que confían en el Señor son como el monte Sión, que jamás será conmovido, que permanecerá para siempre. Como rodean las colinas a Jerusalén, así rodea el Señor a su pueblo, desde ahora y para siempre.
-Salmo 125:1-2

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing weblog! Do you might have any suggestions for aspiring writers? I'm hoping to start my own weblog soon but I'm a little lost on everything. Would you suggest starting with a totally free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? You’ll find so several choices out there that I'm completely overwhelmed .. Any tips? Appreciate it!

Joanna K. Harris said...

Thanks for your comment. I'm glad you enjoy my blog. =)
As far as starting your own blog, you'll probably want to start with something free like Blogger or Wordpress. Give it a try for a while before you decide if blogging is something you want to do on a regular basis.
Two websites that are great resources about writing, publishing, blogging, etc. are:
http://www.rachellegardner.com/
http://michaelhyatt.com/category/publishing
If you read through their archives or keep up with current posts, you'll be well informed.
Personally I write because it's part of who I am and I believe it's something God has called me to. Writing a blog post every week isn't always easy, but God often reminds me that I do it as much for my own need as for those I hope to encourage. Writing helps me put things in perspective, express my thoughts, and even learn things I wouldn't otherwise learn.
So if you love to write, then keep writing! In some or fashion keep putting words on the page (or screen). Ask God to guide and direct you in His plan for you. And keep in touch and let me know how your journey goes. =)
Blessings,
-Joanna