Pages

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Process (El Proceso)


Almost three years ago I started writing what I thought would be a little devotional book based on the book of Job. 

It took about a month to finish the rough draft. Then I started revising it...and almost three years later I'm still working on it. 

I've lost count of how many drafts this book has been through:
-At first I realized it was too short, so I went back and lengthened each chapter. 
-Then I felt like it wasn't personal enough, so I added more of my own experiences and stories. 
-Then I sent it to some friends who gave me really good feedback, and I made more changes.
-Then I felt led to develop some of the tougher theological truths (that took a while).
-Then my mom suggested that I add a Discussion Guide for it, so I started writing that.
-Then I sent it to more friends, who provided more feedback, and I made more changes.
-Then my mom and I went over the chapters with a fine tooth comb and made more changes (I'm so thankful for her editing expertise!).
-And right now I'm still tweaking it here and there, polishing, and making changes in some places (I still need to finish the Discussion Guide also). 

I never expected it to take this long or be this hard to write 'a little devotional book'. But considering the topic of Job, I probably should have known it wouldn't be an easy process.  

Yet looking back, I can see how valuable the process has been. God has taught me things along the way that I needed to know in order to write the book HE had planned. 

When I started, I had no idea what the journey would be like, and I had a different end result pictured. But as always, God's ways are not my ways--they are much BETTER. 

I'm hoping and praying to have this book finished before Christmas. (I appreciate your prayers for that as well!) But however long it takes to complete, I'm learning to trust God with the process.

And I'm learning that when we follow Jesus, we can expect to experience the unexpected. 
We can expect a more difficult process than we planned on. 
And we can expect to be amazed at the end result, which is far better than anything we imagined! 

I think Job would agree. 

Then Job replied to the Lord:
"I know that you can do all things;
 
no plan of yours can be thwarted." 
-Job 42:1-2


Question: How do you feel about 'the process' you're in today?


El Proceso

Hace casi tres años comencé a escribir lo que pensé sería un librito devocional basado en el libro de Job.

Me tomó cerca de un mes terminar el borrador. Luego, empecé a revisarlo… Y casi tres años más tarde todavía estoy trabajando en ése.

Ya perdí la cuenta de los borradores que ha tenido este libro:
-   -Primero, me di cuenta que era muy corto. Entonces me devolví y alargué cada capítulo.
-  -Luego, sentí que no era suficientemente personal, por lo que agregué más de mis propias experiencias e historias.
-   -Después, lo envié a algunos amigos quienes me dieron realmente buena retroalimentación, e hice más cambios.
-  -Entonces, me sentí guiada a desarrollar algunas de las verdades teológicas más difíciles (eso tomó bastante tiempo).
-   -Luego, mi mamá sugirió que le agregara una Guía De Discusión, así que comencé a escribirla.
-  -Entonces lo mandé a más amigos, quienes mandaron más retroalimentación e hice más cambios.
-  -Después, mi mamá y yo repasamos los capítulos minuciosamente e hicimos más cambios (¡estoy tan agradecida por su experiencia en edición!)
-  -Y en este momento todavía estoy ajustándolo aquí y allí, puliendo y haciendo cambios en algunos lugares (todavía necesito terminar la Guía De Discusión)
-   
    Nunca esperé que tomara todo este tiempo o fuera tan difícil escribir “un librito devocional”. Pero considerando el tema de Job, probablemente debería haber sabido que no sería un proceso fácil.

   Sin embargo, mirando hacia atrás, puedo ver lo valioso que ha sido el proceso. Dios me ha enseñado sobre la marcha cosas que necesitaba saber para escribir el libro que ÉL había planeado.
    
    Cuando empecé, no tenía idea de cómo sería el viaje y me imaginaba un resultado final diferente. Pero como siempre, los caminos de Dios no son mis caminos – son mucho MEJORES.

   Tengo la esperanza y estoy orando por tener terminado este libro antes de navidad. (¡También aprecio tus oraciones por eso!) Pero sin importar cuánto tome completarlo, estoy aprendiendo a confiar en Dios en el proceso.

    Y estoy aprendiendo que cuando seguimos a Jesús, podemos esperar experimentar lo inesperado.
    Podemos esperar un proceso más difícil de lo que planeamos. 
   Y podemos esperar estar maravillados con el resultado final, ¡lo que es mucho mejor que cualquier cosa que hayamos imaginado!

    Creo que Job estaría de acuerdo.

Job respondió entonces al Señor. Le dijo:
«Yo sé bien que tú lo puedes todo,
    que no es posible frustrar ninguno de tus planes.
   -Job 42:1-2


    Pregunta: ¿Cómo te sientes acerca del “proceso” en que estás hoy?


No comments: