Pages

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Not To Us...


Do you ever desperately want to accomplish something all by yourself, just so you can stand up and shout "I did it!"

I feel like that sometimes. I want to feel good about myself. I want to receive recognition from others.

But I've realized that this is actually a form of idolatry. I want to take credit for something. I want people to praise me.

But only God is truly worthy of praise! If I try to take credit for something, I'm denying Him the glory He is due - that's idolatry.

Not only do I not deserve any glory, I cannot do anything worthwhile on my own. Jesus said, "apart from me you can do nothing." (John 15:5b)

When I try to do things on my own, I dishonor God's glory and I rob myself of the joy of letting Christ act through me.

As much as I love watching Jesus live through my life, sometimes I'm still drawn to this temptation of acting on my own. Maybe that's why God so often gives me assignments that I can't possibly do in my own strength!

When I'm frustrated and feel like pounding my head against the wall, I'm learning instead to fall on my knees and pray, "I can't do it Lord. Will you please do it through me? And I will give YOU all the credit, praise, and glory!"

"Not to us, O LORD, not to us but to your name be the glory...

It is we who extol the LORD, both now and forevermore.

   Praise the LORD." -Psalm 115:1,18
.

No comments: